banana loaf recipe south africa
This is an easy banana loaf recipe. It produces a soft moist banana loaf that comes out perfect every time. This banana bread recipe has ingredients like buttermilk and brown sugar which ensures a delicious flavour profile.
How to make banana loaf recipe (easy step by step recipe)
ingredients needed to make banana loaf:
- ripe bananas
- vanilla essence
- large eggs
- melted butter
- plain full cream yoghurt
- white sugar
- all-purpose flour
- baking soda
Mash the two ripe bananas in a medium bowl, the mashing doesn’t have to be perfect but just make sure that the paste does not consist of whole banana pieces.
Pro tip: if you do not have brown ripe bananas follow our banana ripening process.
Add the rest of your wet ingredients to your the mashed bananas, namely: vanilla essence, vinegar, butter, plain yoghurt and eggs. Mix well.
In a separate bowl, sift the baking soda, flour, brown sugar and salt. Then fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients using a silicone spatula. Make sure you do not overmix, use the video as a guiding step on how to mix the batter.
Line the loaf tin with parchment paper, then place your batter into thelined tin and bake for 40 minutes.
pro tip: always do the toothpick test before removing your banana bread from the oven
Can bananas be too-ripe for banana loaf?
The darker the banana the sweeter and more in depth the banana taste will be. So no, bananas can not be too ripe for banana bread.
Quick tip: always go for the ripest and darkest bananas when making banana bread, it just tastes better.
How to ripen bananas in the oven?
Preheat your oven to 200 degrees celcius and line your baking tray with foil.
Once your oven is heated place the two under ripe bananas directly onto the foil and bake for 15 minutes.
Once the bananas turn soft and brown remove from the oven allow them to cool down then follow the recipe.
Should I use baking soda or baking powder in banana bread?
- Banana bread dough is quite an acidic dough considering the buttermilk, ripe bananas and brown sugar used in the recipe. To balance that off baking soda is used as opposed to baking powder.so the general rule of thumb: the more the dough is, the more likely baking soda will be used.
What is the number one mistake made when making banana bread?
- over mixing
Overmixing is when one mixes too much to the point where excessive gluten is built. Excessive gluten makes the dough dense and very chewy. To avoid this, mix your dough with a silicone spatula until all your ingredients have been combined, it’s okay to have a few lumps of banana in the dough.
- under baking
Banana bread is a batter that that takes long to bake. It often cooks from the outside in, giving the perception of a cooked loaf when raw inside. To avoid this problem, trust the process and timing of the loaf. Don’t open the oven countless times during the baking process, this instead prolongs the process and could affect the batters raising process.
banana bread recipe South Africa
- banana loaf pan
- medium sized bowl
- larg bowl
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1 tbsp vanilla essence
- 2 large eggs
- ⅔ cup unsalted melted butter
- ¼ tsp vinegar
- ½ cups plain full cream yoghurt
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- 1¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees celsius on bake
- In a large bowl, add your mashed bananas, vanilla essence, eggs and melted butter. Mix this well until everything is combined.
- Add your vinegar, yoghurt and sugar to the wet ingredients and mix well.
- In a separate bowl whisk your baking soda, salt and flour until it is well combined.
- Add your flour mixture to the banana mixture and mix well, making sure your mixture has no lumps.
- Place your batter into a loaf pan that is lined with parchment paper and bake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clear.
what to serve with banana bread
Banana bread is a versatile treat that pairs well with almost everything. Here are a few ideas you should try:
- warm custard- this will forever be a winner, especially during the colder seasons.
- warm banana bread with a generous amount of quality butter served with tea. Sometimes keeping it simple is best.
- ice cream and syrup
- Yoghurt and fruit- this is an excellent breakfast combo.
Welcome to my slice of heaven, a place designed for YOU to grow confidence in making delicious food.
Ready to try this mouthwatering lemon coconut cake recipe? Gather your ingredients, preheat your oven, and let us get baking! Your friends and family will be delighted by this refreshing treat. Share your baking adventures with us in the comments below
An apple turnover is a delightful pastry that offers a heavenly blend of flavors. Imagine biting into a flaky, golden crust that crumbles with each bite, revealing a warm and tangy apple filling. The mix of sweet and tart notes will dance on your taste buds, providing a comforting and satisfying experience. It’s like a cozy autumn evening in a single dessert.
Indulge in Cafe-Quality Mocha Macchiato: A Must-Try Recipe for Coffee Shop Lovers