creamy spinach recipe South Africa (steakhouse style)
how to make creamy spinach
creamy spinach recipe south africa
ingredients needed for steaming
- 500 grams Fresh spinach
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 white onion finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons crushed garlic
- 2 teaspoons mixed herb
- 1 cup fresh cream
- Chop the washed spinach into smaller pieces then place it into a medium pot on medium-high heat with a cup of water and salt.
- Steam for about 7 minutes or until the spinach has reduced in size.
- Remove the spinach and chop it further into smaller bite-size pieces. Set aside.
creating the white sauce
- In a medium pan on medium-high heat, place the butter and garlic into the pan and allow the butter to heat up along with the garlic.
- Place the chopped onion into the heated butter and fry for 5 minutes or until the onions have slightly browned.
- Add the mixed herb spice to your onions as well as the flour. Stir well.
- Place a cup of fresh cream into your pan and stir continuously until the sauce thickens.
- Once the sauce thickens, add your chopped spinach into the sauce and stir well.
- If necessary, add more salt and pepper for taste and enjoy!
How do you thicken creamed spinach?
What flavors go well with spinach?
Garlic and butter, hence why it is included in the recipe. Garlic and butter add to the flavour profile of spinach.
Mixed herb is another flavour that goes well with spinach.
Should you eat spinach stems?
Spinach stems are edible and full of nutrients, however, when making creamed spinach it is better to cut the stems off. This is because stems tend to have a very strong taste that could potentially put you off.
Welcome to my slice of heaven, a place designed for YOU to grow confidence in making delicious food.
three bean salad recipe South Africa
This three bean salad recipe is sweet and fits perfectly into your Sunday kos meal. The sweet chutney used in this salad makes the difference, making a delicious three bean salad with carrots.
sweet plantain chips recipe Nigeria
Plantain chips have a delicious starchy sweet taste with the texture of a banana and sweet potato combined. You will love this plantain chip recipe, it is easy to follow and absolutely delicious.
how to make ujeqe
This is the softest and lightest ujeqe recipe. It is best served with a hearty stew, or tea and butter. You will absolutely love this winter warmer.
South African potato bake recipe
This is a delicious South African potato bake recipe that is made with South Africa’s most trusted brand Knorr. This cheesy potato bake is super easy to make which makes it the perfect easy dinner meal.
spicy jollof rice recipe
easy vetkoek recipe
This easy vetkoek recipe is the best magwinya recipe out there. It produces vetkoek that are soft on the inside and crispy on the out. This South African favorite is the ultimate comfort food for cold and cloudy days.