easy vetkoek recipe
This easy vetkoek recipe is the best vetkoek recipe out there. It produces vetkoek that are soft on the inside and crispy on the out. This South African favourite is the ultimate comfort food for cold and cloudy days.
vetkoek or magwinya
Vetkoek means fat cake in English, it is a deep-fried dough that turns out to be a savoury or sweet snack that is typically served with fillings or plain with tea. Depending on where you come from in South Africa vetkoek is sometimes referred to as magwinya, it is the same thing though.
how to make vetkoek ( a step-by-step guide)
Add all your dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl.
- dry instant yeast
- cake wheat flour
Add all these ingredients into a mixing bowl and stir well with a wooden spoon until all ingredients ae evenly mixed.
Add your wet ingredients into your dry ingredients bowl.
- warm water
- vanilla essence
Add these ingredients to your dry ingredients and use your wooden spoon to gently mix the ingredients well. If it makes it easier for you, place your dough onto a cleaned and floured surface and start to gently mix it. This recipe produces a softer dough, so mix the dough with a wooden spoon.
Let the dough raise for 45 minutes
Let the dough rise for 45 minutes then prepare oil for deep frying.
Fry your dough
Let the dough raise for 45 minutes then prepare oil for deep frying. Once the oil is hot enough, fry tablespoons of dough in your oil, once the vetkoek has turned golden brown everywhere, remove it from the oil and leave it to cool down with a kitchen paper towel to allow all the excess oil to drain.
If your oil is too hot the fried dough won’t cook through but rather burn on the outside, it the oil is too cool, the vetkoek will suck a lot of oil and be dry.
easy vetkoek recipe
- 2 cups warm water
- 1 tbsp vanilla essence
- 1/3 cup warm dairy milk
- 4 cups cake wheat flour plus 1 more cup for kneading
- 10 grams instant yeast
- pinch of salt
- ½ cup brown sugar
- canola or sunflower oil
- Place the 3½ cups of flour, salt, yeast and brown sugar into a large mixing bowl and mix well and well combined.
- In a separate bowl place your warm milk, warm water and vanilla essence into a smaller bowl and mix well.
- Place your wet ingredients into your dry ingredients and mix well with your wooden spoon.
- If your dough is too wet add small amounts of the extra flour until it is soft to the touch but is firm enough to lift up slighty.
- Knead until your dough is smooth and soft.
- Cover your dough with a damp cloth and leave it in a sunny spot for 45 minutes or until the dough has doubled in size.
- Once your dough has risen, add oil to a small deep pot on medium high heat. The oil must be enough for frying.
- Once your oil has heated up, add one spoonful of dough into your hot oil and fry until the dough is golden brown and cooked on the inside.
- If the dough is perfectly cooked then add spoonfuls of dough into your dough and cook until it is golden brown. Place your cooked vetkoek onto a kitchen paper to drain the excess oil.
- Do this for the rest of your dough and enjoy.
Welcome to my slice of heaven, a place designed for YOU to grow confidence in making delicious food.
This is the best fluffy buttermilk flapjack recipe there is out there! Best part is that these are ready in 30 minutes. These flapjacks are fluffy, light and delicious pancakes are perfect for sweet breakfasts or just a sweet craving. You will love these.
This is a South African soft inkomazi scone recipe that is delicious and makes soft amasi dikuku. Perfect for when you feel like making a comforting treat that reminds you of home. You will love this amasi scone recipe, it is super easy to follow and requires ingredients like flour, eggs and amasi which are ingredients that are common in many South African homes.
This is the best pannekoek recipe that is easy to make and absolutely delicious. It comes with a delicious cinnamon sugar dressing that makes it an indulgent treat
This is the most tender, moist and fluffy lemon poppy seed sweet rolls recipe. It is filled with rich ingredients like butter, buttercream and eggs to give it the perfect texture of a moist and sweet roll with lemon curd.
This step by step peppermint crisp tart recipe teaches you how to make mini peppermint crisp tarts that are perfect for any occasion. This South African peppermint crisp tart recipe is super sumptuous and packed with goodness. You will love this South African favorite!
This is a moist banana bread recipe that uses ingredients like overripe bananas and buttermilk to ensure that you get the best moist banana bread recipe.
This buttery scone recipe teaches you how to bake scones with self-raising flour. It makes soft, light, and delicate English scones that are perfect for tea time.