easy jollof rice recipe
Spicy jollof rice recipe
This Ghanaian spicy jollof rice recipe will teach you how to make a flavor packed jollof rice that has a variety of spices and vegetables that produces a spicy, fluffy and tomato-rich spicy jollof rice.
What is Ghanaian spicy jollof rice?
The difference between Nigerian jollof and Ghanaian jollof is that Ghanaian jollof has a higher tomato flavor profile which can be seen in how this recipe requires 4 ripe tomatoes as well as 50 grams of tomato paste. Ghanaian jollof is also made in a starchier rice that absorbs more flavour such as Fragrant long grain Thai Jasmine rice.
spicy jollof rice ingredients
This is one of the most important ingredients of jollof, not only does it contribute to the beautiful color of the rice but it contributes to the overall rich flavor of the jollof.
thai jasmine rice
As stated in the video, jasmine rice is the better choice for jollof because it absorbs more liquid than basmati rice, which overally creates a higher flavor profile.
red bell peppers
This is my absolute favorite ingredient because it contributes to the slight sweet taste of the jollof rice as well as the bright red/orange color of jollof.
Red onions are used in this recipe due to the sweeter and more flavorful taste.
Beef stock cube, chilli flakes, dried basil leaves, paprika, mixed herb, spice for rice and curry powder.
how to make Ghanaian jollof rice
Start of by charring your vegetables in the oven for 20 minutes on 220 degrees celsius on grill. This helps on developing and intensifying the flavor of each vegetable.
Create you tomato puree by blending your charred vegetables.
Fry your onion until it is golden brown then add your tomato paste and continue frying.
Once you have fried your tomato paste add your tomato puree along with the spices to your fried onions and stir well. Close your lid and allow your mixture to reduce.
Once your mixture has reduced, set aside. Place your rice into the instant pot/ rice cooker and then add your tomato puree to it and cook on the rice mode.
how to cook spicy jollof rice
how to make spicy jollof on the stove
Follow all the instructions carefully and then place your your uncooked mixture of rice and the tomato soup into a non-stick pan on low heat. Cover the pan with foil and then close it with the lid. This ensures that the jollof is steamed and not fried, which creates a fluffy separating jollof. Allow the jollof to cook on low heat for 30 minutes whilst consistently checking. Once the jollof has cooked to your preference, set aside and enjoy.
how to make spicy jollof in an instant pot
This is the easiest and fastest way of making jollof rice, Simply follow the recipe and then cook the rice on the ‘rice mode’. If your rice is still a bit hard, put the rice in your rice cooker again until your desired texture has been achieved.
reasons and solutions to why jollof fails
why is my jollof rice sticky
In most cases, excessive liquid causes jollof to be sticky. One thing to remember is that jollof is steamed and not boiled. A way of avoiding this mistake is by reading your rice packages instructions and by following its ratios. eg. if the rice packet calls for 1 part rice and 2 parts liquid, do not add in 2,5 parts of liquid.
Why is my jollof rice hard
As cliche as it may sound you have probably not put enough liquid to allow the jollof to steam. This amplifies the importance of following the rice packets instructions.
If you have cautiously followed the instructions and still remain with hard rice, you should allow your rice to cook for longer. Start of with cooking it for 10 minutes longer or until you have achieved the desired texture.
spicy jollof rice recipe
for the vegetable puree
- 3 tbsp canola oil
- 3 baby red onions
- 4 ripe tomatoes
- 2 sweet red peppers
- 50 grams tomato paste
- 4 bay leaves
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tbsp dried mixed herbs
- 2 tsp spice for rice
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp medium curry powder
- 3 chicken stock cubes
- 2 cups fragrant long grain Thai jasmine rice
how to char the vegetables
- Preheat the oven to grill at 220 degrees celcius
- Chop your vegetables (except for one red onion) into smaller pieces and arrange them on to your baking tray. Drizzle the vegetables with one tablespoon of oil and half a teaspoon of salt.
- Place this into the oven to grill for 20 minutes.
how to make the vegetable puree
- Once your vegetables have grilled for 20 minutes, place them into a blender and pulse until it is well blended and smooth.
how to cook the puree
- Finely chop the remaining onion and set it aside.
- Heat the remaining two tablespoons of oil in a pan on medium heat and fry your red onions until they are golden brown. Place your tomato paste into the pan and continuously fry for a further 5 minutes.
- Once you have fried your tomato paste, place your blended vegetables into your already hot pan and stir well. Add all the spices to your pan, stir and close.
- Once your soup has reduced set it aside.
how to make jollof in a rice cooker
- This step is very important to achieving fluffy, separating and cooked jollof. Place your rice into your rice cooker or instant pot, then add in the amount of liquid ( vegetable sauce) that the rice packet instruction calls for. The rice brand I used for this recipe calls for a 1:2 ratio, therefore, I added 4 cups of soup.
- Mix the soup and rice and then cook on the 'rice' mode. If the rice hasn't cooked enough after the cooking period, place it in your machine for the second time until you have achieved your desired texture of rice.
This buttery scone recipe teaches you how to bake scones with self-raising flour. It makes soft, light, and delicate English scones that are perfect for tea time.
This easy magwinya recipe is the best vetkoek recipe out there. It produces magwinya that are soft on the inside and crispy on the out. This South African favorite is the ultimate comfort food for cold and cloudy days.
If you are looking for an easy dinner recipe that makes you feel like you are having delicious take-aways but the healthy form. Then this is the recipe for you.
Simplentasty.com © Made with love