This easy magwinya recipe is the best vetkoek recipe out there. It produces magwinya that are soft on the inside and crispy on the out. This South African favourite is the ultimate comfort food for cold and cloudy days.
vetkoek or magwinya
Vetkoek means fat cake in English, it is a deep-fried dough that turns out to be a savoury or sweet snack that is typically served with fillings or plain with tea. Depending on where you come from in South Africa vetkoek is sometimes referred to as magwinya, it is the same thing though.
how to make magwinya ( a step-by-step guide)
Add all your dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl.
- dry instant yeast
- cake wheat flour
Add all these ingredients into a mixing bowl and stir well with a wooden spoon until all ingredients ae evenly mixed.
Add your wet ingredients into your dry ingredients bowl.
- warm water
- vanilla essence
Add these ingredients to your dry ingredients and use your wooden spoon to gently mix the ingredients well. If it makes it easier for you, place your dough onto a cleaned and floured surface and start to gently mix it. This recipe produces a softer dough, so mix the dough with a wooden spoon.
Let the dough raise for 45 minutes
Let the dough rise for 45 minutes then prepare oil for deep frying.
Fry your dough
Let the dough raise for 45 minutes then prepare oil for deep frying. Once the oil is hot enough, fry tablespoons of dough in your oil, once the vetkoek has turned golden brown everywhere, remove it from the oil and leave it to cool down with a kitchen paper towel to allow all the excess oil to drain.
If your oil is too hot the fried dough won’t cook through but rather burn on the outside, it the oil is too cool, the vetkoek will suck a lot of oil and be dry.
easy vetkoek recipe
- 1¾ cups warm water
- 1 tbsp vanilla essence
- 1/3 cup warm dairy milk
- 4 cups cake wheat flour plus 1 more cup for kneading
- 10 grams instant yeast
- pinch of salt
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- canola or sunflower oil
- Place the 3½ cups of flour, salt, yeast and brown sugar into a large mixing bowl and mix well and well combined.
- In a separate bowl place warm milk, warm water and vanilla essence into a smaller bowl and mix well.
- Gradually add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix well with a wooden spoon. Only add enough liquid to form a soft kneadable dough. ( it is normal to have remaining wet ingredients.)
- If your dough is too wet add small amounts of the extra flour until it is soft to the touch but is firm enough to lift up slighty.
- Knead until the dough is smooth and soft.
- Cover the dough with a damp cloth and leave it in a sunny spot for 45 minutes or until the dough has doubled in size.
- Once the dough has risen, add oil to a small deep pot on medium low heat. The oil must be enough for deep frying.
- Once the oil has heated up, add a spoonful of dough into the hot oil and fry until the dough is golden brown and cooked on the inside.
- If the dough is perfectly cooked then add spoonfuls of dough into the oil and cook until it is golden brown. Place your cooked vetkoek onto a paper towel to drain the excess oil.
- Repeat the above step for the remaining dough.
- Serve the vetkoek with your favourite side and enjoy.
Welcome to my slice of heaven, a place designed for YOU to grow confidence in making delicious food.
Ready to try this mouthwatering lemon coconut cake recipe? Gather your ingredients, preheat your oven, and let us get baking! Your friends and family will be delighted by this refreshing treat. Share your baking adventures with us in the comments below
An apple turnover is a delightful pastry that offers a heavenly blend of flavors. Imagine biting into a flaky, golden crust that crumbles with each bite, revealing a warm and tangy apple filling. The mix of sweet and tart notes will dance on your taste buds, providing a comforting and satisfying experience. It’s like a cozy autumn evening in a single dessert.
Indulge in Cafe-Quality Mocha Macchiato: A Must-Try Recipe for Coffee Shop Lovers
This pure maple syrup coffee recipe is delicious and can be whipped in a matter of minutes without the need for an espresso machine or traditional milk frother