creamed spinach recipe south africa
This creamed spinach recipe is a delicious steakhouse-style side dish that fits perfectly as a creamy side dish to your main meal.
how to make this creamed spinach recipe
This creamed spinach recipe is made first by preparing fresh spinach.
We do this by washing the spinach, ensuring that all the loose grains of soil that may have caught on are washed off.
After washing the spinach, chop it into smaller pieces.
Place the chopped spinach into a medium pot along with some water and salt. Allow it to steam for about 7 minutes or until the spinach has reduced in size.
Once the butter is heated, add your onions and fry them until they have browned.
Frying your onions until they have browned helps with intensifying the flavour profile.
OPTIONAL: cut the spinach into further bite-sized pieces.
Add the spinach to your cream sauce and stir well. Once everything is combined add extra salt and pepper if necessary.
creamy spinach recipe south africa
ingredients needed for steaming
- 500 grams Fresh spinach
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 white onion finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons crushed garlic
- 2 teaspoons mixed herb
- 1 cup fresh cream
- Chop the washed spinach into smaller pieces then place it into a medium pot on medium-high heat with a cup of water and salt.
- Steam for about 7 minutes or until the spinach has reduced in size.
- Remove the spinach and chop it further into smaller bite-size pieces. Set aside.
creating the white sauce
- In a medium pan on medium-high heat, place the butter and garlic into the pan and allow the butter to heat up along with the garlic.
- Place the chopped onion into the heated butter and fry for 5 minutes or until the onions have slightly browned.
- Add the mixed herb spice to your onions as well as the flour. Stir well.
- Place a cup of fresh cream into your pan and stir continuously until the sauce thickens.
- Once the sauce thickens, add your chopped spinach into the sauce and stir well.
- If necessary, add more salt and pepper for taste and enjoy!
How do you thicken creamed spinach?
What flavors go well with spinach?
Garlic and butter, hence why it is included in the recipe. Garlic and butter add to the flavour profile of spinach.
Mixed herb is another flavour that goes well with spinach.
Should you eat spinach stems?
Spinach stems are edible and full of nutrients, however, when making creamed spinach it is better to cut the stems off. This is because stems tend to have a very strong taste that could potentially put you off.
Welcome to my slice of heaven, a place designed for YOU to grow confidence in making delicious food.
perfect maple syrup coffee recipe with cinnamon
This pure maple syrup coffee recipe is delicious and can be whipped in a matter of minutes without the need for an espresso machine or traditional milk frother
hot oatmilk honey latte recipe with cinnamon
This hot oatmilk honey latte recipe with cinnamon is a delicious and easy recipe that you can make at home, and it tastes exactly like one made in a coffee shop
oat milk cold brew coffee recipe (iced honey latte)
iced coconut milk mocha macchiato recipe (Starbucks copycat)
iced oat milk coffee recipe (the best oat milk latte)
Indulge in a delicious treat with our oat milk coffee recipe that’s perfect for all the iced coffee lovers out there. This creamy iced oat milk latte is absolutely delicious.
first watch kale tonic recipe (4 minute healthy green juice)
three bean salad recipe South Africa
This three bean salad recipe is sweet and fits perfectly into your Sunday kos meal. The sweet chutney used in this salad makes the difference, making a delicious three bean salad with carrots.
sweet plantain chips recipe Nigeria
Plantain chips have a delicious starchy sweet taste with the texture of a banana and sweet potato combined. You will love this plantain chip recipe, it is easy to follow and absolutely delicious.