creamy spinach recipe south africa (with Video)
Creamy spinach is a delicious and indulgent side dish that combines the earthy flavor of fresh spinach with the rich and velvety texture of a creamy sauce. It is a versatile dish that can be enjoyed on its own or paired with the perfect seven colour dish.
how to make this creamy spinach recipe (south africa)
This creamy spinach recipe is made first by preparing fresh spinach.
We do this by washing the spinach, ensuring that all the loose grains of soil that may have caught on are washed off.
After washing the spinach, chop it into smaller pieces.
Place the chopped spinach into a medium pot along with some water and salt. Allow it to steam for about 7 minutes or until the spinach has reduced in size.
creamy spinach recipe south africa
ingredients needed for steaming
- 500 grams Fresh spinach
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 white onion finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons crushed garlic
- 2 teaspoons mixed herb
- 1 cup fresh cream
- Chop the washed spinach into smaller pieces then place it into a medium pot on medium-high heat with a cup of water and salt.
- Steam for about 7 minutes or until the spinach has reduced in size.
- Remove the spinach and chop it further into smaller bite-size pieces. Set aside.
creating the white sauce
- In a medium pan on medium-high heat, place the butter and garlic into the pan and allow the butter to heat up along with the garlic.
- Place the chopped onion into the heated butter and fry for 5 minutes or until the onions have slightly browned.
- Add the mixed herb spice to your onions as well as the flour. Stir well.
- Place a cup of fresh cream into your pan and stir continuously until the sauce thickens.
- Once the sauce thickens, add your chopped spinach into the sauce and stir well.
- If necessary, add more salt and pepper for taste and enjoy!
How do you thicken creamy spinach?
What flavors go well with spinach?
Garlic and butter, hence why it is included in the recipe. Garlic and butter add to the flavour profile of spinach.
Mixed herb is another flavour that goes well with spinach.
Should you eat spinach stems?
Spinach stems are edible and full of nutrients, however, when making creamed spinach it is better to cut the stems off. This is because stems tend to have a very strong taste that could potentially put you off.
Welcome to my slice of heaven, a place designed for YOU to grow confidence in making delicious food.
Coconut rice is a versatile dish that pairs well with various main courses. Creamy coconut milk and fragrant jasmine rice combine to create a satisfying flavor.
This pure maple syrup coffee recipe is delicious and can be whipped in a matter of minutes without the need for an espresso machine or traditional milk frother
This hot oatmilk honey latte recipe with cinnamon is a delicious and easy recipe that you can make at home, and it tastes exactly like one made in a coffee shop
Indulge in a delicious treat with our oat milk coffee recipe that’s perfect for all the iced coffee lovers out there. This creamy iced oat milk latte is absolutely delicious.