lemon poppy seed sweet rolls with lemon curd filling
This is the most tender, moist and fluffy lemon poppy seed sweet rolls recipe. It is filled with rich ingredients like butter, buttercream and eggs to give it the perfect texture of a moist and sweet roll with lemon curd.
I would describe the taste of this roll as a sweet roll that has a bit of a tarty and nutty flavour that comes from the lemon curd and poppy seed filling. It is definitely a perfectly sweet roll that has a delicious zesty punch to it that makes you want to keep on having more. The good thing is this recipe produces about twelve medium sized rolls that makes it a perfect party treat or a secret guilty pleasure dessert.
the step-by-step guide to making these lemon poppy seed sweet rolls with lemon curd filling
the first thing you should do before making these lemon poppy seed sweet rolls is making sure you have all the ingredients. There is nothing worse than being in the middle of a recipe only to find out that you do not have one of the main ingredients like eggs or even butter. Yes, there are some good ingredient substitutes but using the actual required ingredients will give the perfect outcome.
the ingredients needed for the sweet rolls:
Yes, butter is one of the most important ingredients after buttermilk in this recipe, that is all because butter adds to the moisture and tenderness of the sweet rolls.
Buttermilk is the most important ingredient in the recipe. It provides for the soft nature of the sweet rolls.
Brown sugar, unlike white sugar, creates a slightly chewier texture to the rolls. I also find that using brown sugar gives the rolls a better taste.
Lemon is the filling for this lemon poppy seed sweet bun and makes sure that you use fresh lemons when making the filling. Fresh lemons have more of a zesty and fresh taste as compared to store-bought lemon juice.
This recipe calls for two eggs instead of one which then adds to the tenderness and airiness of the rolls.
There are many causes that make rolls tough and dry but in most cases, having way too much dry ingredients for the wet ingredients causes dryness. In many cases adding way too much flour to the liquid will without a doubt make your rolls dry. In most cases, having a ratio of 3:1.5 will make a good texture to dough.
lemon poppy seed sweet rolls recipe
for the dough
- ¾ cups buttermilk
- 125 grams butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tbsp vanilla essence
- 1 tbsp instant yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 3 cups cake wheat flour
lemon and poppy seed filling
- 2 eggs yolk only
- 3 tbsp butter
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp poppy seeds
- the juice of half a lemon
for the topping
- 250 grams cream cheese
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
- 1 tbsp of the lemon poppy seed filling
for the sweet rolls
- Combine the buttermilk, vanilla essence and the butter in a large mixing bowl and heat it in the microwave until the butter has melted and the buttermilk is heated. Set aside until it is cool enough to add eggs.
- In the meantime place your flour, sugar and salt into the mixing bowl and mix well.
- Once your buttermilk mixture is lukewarm, add your yeast and eggs into it and mix well.
- Start by adding small bits of flour into your wet ingredients until you get a thick and kneadable dough texture.
- Place your dough onto a lightly floured surface and start to knead your dough. If necessary, keep adding the flour mixture you made earlier. Never add more flour than what the recipe asks for. This will end up making the dough tough and dry.
- Once your dough is smooth and soft place it in a lightly oiled large bowl that is covered in a damp clean clothe in a sunny spot for about one hour until the dough doubles in size.
- Once the dough doubles in size, place it on a lightly floured surface and use your hands to stretch the dough into a large rectangle making sure you do not stretch the dough to the point where the dough tears.
- Smear your filling onto the rectangular dough evenly. Then start rolling the dough on the long side making sure your rolls are tight enough to hold the filling well.
- Once you have rolled your dough, cut it into 12 equal pieces and place the pieces into a greased baking tray that you will be baking these rolls in.
- Allow the rolls to proof for a further 30 minutes in a sunny spot. Once you are 15 minutes in preheat your oven to 160 degrees on bake.
- Once your dough is done proofing then bake it on the middle rack for 25 minutes.
- Once your lemon poppy seed sweet rolls have baked, allow them to cool for 10 minutes then place your topping on top of each roll and enjoy:)
lemon and poppy seed filling
- Place the yolks, brown sugar and butter into a small pot and place your pot onto medium-low heat. Whisk the mixture until it is thick and everything has melted.
- Remove your pot from the heat then add the juice of half a lemon and your poppy seeds and mix well. Place your filling in the fridge for 15 minutes to make sure it slightly thickens up.
- Place your cream cheese, filling and powdered sugar in a medium bowl and whisk until you get a smooth sweet but tarty flavour.
Welcome to my slice of heaven, a place designed for YOU to grow confidence in making delicious food.
easy pancake recipe South Africa
This is the best fluffy buttermilk flapjack recipe there is out there! Best part is that these are ready in 30 minutes. These flapjacks are fluffy, light and delicious pancakes are perfect for sweet breakfasts or just a sweet craving. You will love these.
how to make soft inkomazi scones (South Africa)
This is a South African soft inkomazi scone recipe that is delicious and makes soft amasi dikuku. Perfect for when you feel like making a comforting treat that reminds you of home. You will love this amasi scone recipe, it is super easy to follow and requires ingredients like flour, eggs and amasi which are ingredients that are common in many South African homes.
how to make pannekoek
This is the best pannekoek recipe that is easy to make and absolutely delicious. It comes with a delicious cinnamon sugar dressing that makes it an indulgent treat
easy vetkoek recipe
This easy vetkoek recipe is the best magwinya recipe out there. It produces vetkoek that are soft on the inside and crispy on the out. This South African favorite is the ultimate comfort food for cold and cloudy days.
mini peppermint crisp tart recipe
This step by step peppermint crisp tart recipe teaches you how to make mini peppermint crisp tarts that are perfect for any occasion. This South African peppermint crisp tart recipe is super sumptuous and packed with goodness. You will love this South African favorite!